Cannot Send Messages in Thunderbird, How to Fix it?
If you cannot send messages, this page provides a series of steps you can use to check for common problems Cannot Send Messages in Thunderbird.
Table of Contents
- Verify your SMTP outgoing email settings
- Check correct SMTP Server is being used
- Make Sure your outgoing email is not being blocked
- Delete SMTP Password
- Reset SMTP Password
- If this list doesn’t help
- More resources
Verify your SMTP outgoing email settings if you cannot Send Messages
- Tools >> Account Settings… and then Select Outgoing Server (SMTP) from the bottom of the list on the left side of the panel. Check that the settings are the same as documented in the mail settings article for your email provider on support.mozillamessaging.com Gmail, Yahoo, Comcast, Hotmail, Sympatico) OR
- If there is no support.mozillamessaging.com article with your specific email provider’s email settings then look for an SMTP email settings article on the email provider’s site. This is usually in the support section of their website; searching for “email settings” or “SMTP” will usually find it. Check that your Thunderbird settings match the documented settings.
Verify the correct SMTP Server is being used
- Tools Account Settings… Verify that you are using the right SMTP server for the email address. Most of the time you cannot send messages from one account provider using another account provider’s service. For example, you cannot send a message from “email@example.com” through Yahoo’s SMTP server.
Check that your outgoing email is not being blocked
Also Check that your outgoing email is not being blocked by your firewall, anti-virus software or your Internet Service Provider:
- Try briefly turning both anti-virus and firewall off, sending a test email and turning them on and sending another test email.
- Many ISPs block outgoing email on port 25. You may have to switch to another port (e.g. 587 or 465). Contact your ISP’s support to see if they are blocking your outgoing email port.
Cannot send emails using Mozilla Thunderbird
The most common reasons not to be able to send emails are:
* Incorrect Thunderbird settings;
* Blocked port 25 by the Internet Service provider.
To resolve the problem Cannot Send Messages in Thunderbird you should try this to Fix:
1. Make sure you are using the correct Thunderbird sttings:
* Incoming mail server (POP3/IMAP server): mail.yourdomain.com
* Outgoing mail server (SMTP server): mail.yourdomain.com
* Username: the full e-mail address like firstname.lastname@example.org
* SMTP authentication must be enabled for the login to be successful.
A common mistake is to leave “My SMTP server requires authentication checkbox” unchecked. This option should be always enabled since SiteGround servers require such authentication.
2. Try using the alternative TCP port 2525 for the SMTP server. For more information, you can check our Thunderbird Blog.
If you are having problems with your email, you may contact your host for assistance. SiteGround provides the best email hosting and we will assist you with any email issues you may have.